The Southerners continued their assault on the club’s own Southerners 20/20 Cricket Tournament last weekend, with a solid win over the highly-fancied Bangkok Cricket Club (BCC) despite what was likely a world record number of dropped catches!
Southerners 8/152 def. BCC 8/128
Some memorable moments from the match:
- Faheem destroying the BCC attack to get us off to a flyer.
- Guarav’s middle-order knock – very Michael Bevan like which also included a six. Mind you, it was off a 7 year old bowler (strangely they are approximately the same height).
- Manesh claiming a wicket with the very first ball of arguably his best ever bowling spell – well done champ.
- Big Ben Doherty’s magnificent wicketless bowling spell.
- Nadeem’s catch to remove the BCC’s gun bat.
- Nadeem’s botched run-out opportunity, possibly the worst in cricketing history!
- Our countless number of dropped catches – how we still won the game by so many runs is amazing in itself.
- Kiwi’s blinder of a catch late in the game – a real classic that surprised us all but none more than himself.
With one final match until the competition finals, another win this weekend against a formidable Asia Stars Cricket Club will take the Southerners to the top of their group and into the main final.
Best of luck to the lads this weekend!
– Nathan Kincaid